Cloud Signaling Director (CSD)
Simplify, scale and secure your 4G signaling and prepare for 5G
Nokia Cloud Signaling Director (CSD) addresses the challenges of 4G traffic growth while setting the stage for 5G by simplifying interoperability, enabling massive scalability, and securing signaling. Previously known as the Nokia Dynamic Diameter Engine (DDE), the CSD is Nokia's software for 4G’s Diameter routing agent (DRA), 2G/3G SS7 interworking, and will provide the 5G core network’s signaling software.
Popular LTE services are driving rapid growth of Diameter traffic
Diameter-based control plane traffic is escalating as consumers embrace advanced mobile broadband services. This growth results in an increasingly complex control topology and creates inefficiency and unpredictability.
To deliver the rich, secure experiences your customers want, you need an intelligent product that brings greater flexibility to the signaling control plane.
Performance, automation and new business drive 5G
Signaling will change from a 4G DRA with Diameter to a 5G signaling with HTTP/2 and JSON. Challenges in planning your 5G network include:
- Ensuring 5G core network functions’ interoperability within your network (between different versions and interpretations of 5G signaling standards), between your 5G and 4G/3G/2G networks, and between your 5G network and your roaming and interconnection peers
- Massive scaling of the cloud-native, micro-services based, highly distributed core
- Building in security from the start for internal and external threats, particularly considering 5G’s much larger network and the many devices and partners connected to it.
Why choose Nokia for your signaling director?
Built for cloud native
CSD offers deployment and configuration options that address a variety of service provider requirements. These options include virtualized commercial off-the-shelf configurations that give you more flexibility and scale and help you reduce the cost of introducing new capacity.
Agile Rules Technology
CSD is based on our Agile Rules Technology (ART). Backed by more than 150 patents, ART provides ease of use, flexibility, high performance, scalability, and maintainability. With ART you can:
- Simplify the creation, testing, and deployment of routing policies with an easy-to-use visualization interface
- Address your exact needs with a flexible, wide-ranging collection of routing use cases
- Deliver high performance on any scale with policies to control complex routing scenarios
- Streamline installation, upgrade, operations, and troubleshooting processes with service provider-centric technology
Extensive signaling experience
CSD draws on our deep knowledge of signaling. We develop the signaling capabilities of our packet core, IMS, and policy and charging control solutions in house. Our products are designed to work successfully in any multivendor environment. We have used our experience to help dozens of service providers around the world with their specific signaling needs.
Get smart about signaling
Our CSD product helps you address the challenges of signaling plane traffic growth.
Simplify your control topology
Reduce 4G LTE’s complexity by migrating to a simplified control topology. With Diameter routing agent (DRA) functionality you can create a hub-and-spoke topology that gives you more flexibility to define control plane behavior and support advanced mediation capabilities.
Manage control plane behavior
Boost operations efficiency, scalability, and performance by defining behavior in the control plane. CSD lets you create routing policies that enable and simplify server selection, load balancing, and session management.
Ensure interoperability within the control plane
Add 4G LTE network elements and 5G network functions without worrying about compatibility issues. With our CSD you can leverage mediation and data manipulation capabilities to ensure interoperability across different element versions and vendor implementations.
Secure the roaming infrastructure
Control and protect the exchange of signaling information across the roaming infrastructure with our 4G LTE Diameter edge agent (DEA) and our 5G Security Edge Protection Proxy (SEPP), which lets you:
- Control complex roaming agreements
- Hide the network topology
- Fix key message content and filter out unwanted data
- Nokia implements Future X network architecture for 5G to deliver breakthrough network performance and reduce costs29 Jan 2018
- Nokia and Three UK to deploy world’s first next-generation cloud native core network10 Feb 2017
- Nokia selected by ALTÁN Redes to build and manage nationwide LTE wholesale network in Mexico30 Mar 2017
- Dynamic Diameter Engine Press Release29 Jun 2016
- Nokia Virtualizes Diameter Signaling for Traffic Control29 Jun 2016
- WIND Mobile and Nokia Networks partner to bring the most advanced LTE technology to Canada10 Dec 2015
The Nokia Cloud Signaling Director (CSD) helps you easily and quickly develop customized policies to accommodate increases in signaling control plane traffic. The result is a simpler, more scalable, and more secure control topology. Designed for cloud, CSD combines our innovative rules engine technology with our deep signaling expertise. It provides an effective solution for addressing rapid signaling traffic growth, along with the deployment flexibility and scalability that you need.