Use cost-effective and scalable mobile fronthaul, midhaul, or backhaul transport to get to C-RAN faster.
The Nokia Optical Anyhaul solution lets you support distributed RAN, centralized RAN, and cloud RAN architectures with cost-effective transport of CPRI, OBSAI, and time-sensitive Ethernet protocols.
Prepare your transport network for mobile data growth
Mobile data growth is compelling operators to further densify, centralize, and cloudify their networks. The key drivers of this growth are high-resolution video, immersive communications, cloud services, and connectivity for IoT/M2M devices.
Our Optical Anyhaul solution helps you cope with data growth. It allows your transport network to cost-effectively scale and reach more endpoints so you can densify your network with more cells for greater capacity and coverage. And it eases your move to C-RAN architectures by supporting strict latency and jitter requirements needed to boost RAN performance and take advantage of virtualized network resources.
Support diverse services with dynamic transport
Our solution also helps you build a dynamic transport network that can handle services with diverse capacity, latency, reliability, synchronization, mobility, and energy efficiency requirements. It uses our proven Nokia 1830 product family to create a highly flexible, scalable, and power-efficient solution with a small footprint.
- Nokia 1830 VWM delivers high capacity transport with minimum latency for maximum reach providing cost-effective access for sites with traditional fronthaul interfaces (CPRI/OBSAI/Ethernet) on point-to-point or protected ring architectures. It supports passive, semi-passive, and active transparent fronthaul options that address a wide range of deployment environments and business models. These options help you make a cost-effective transition to C-RAN so you can improve the performance of your LTE/LTE-A networks and prepare for 5G.
- Nokia 1830 PSS Integrated Packet Transport helps you prepare for 5G by supporting the packet aggregation and optical transport functions required for time-sensitive, packet-switched Ethernet fronthaul networks. Deployed on the Nokia 1830 Photonic Service Switch, our Integrated Packet Transport cards support Optical Ethernet anyhaul applications by combining the scalability of 100G packet aggregation and coherent DWDM with ultra-low latency and industry-leading time synchronization. They also deliver high reliability, using protection mechanisms such as Ethernet Ring Protection and MPLS-TP to provide sub 50 ms restoration.
Together, these network elements let you support distributed RAN, centralized RAN, and cloud RAN architectures with a variety of fronthaul, midhaul, and backhaul applications, including:
- Mobile backhaul (3G, 4G LTE, 5G)
- WDM fronthaul (CPRI, OBSAI)
- Ethernet Time-Sensitive Networking for fronthaul (eCPRI/NGFI)
How can the Optical Anyhaul solution help your business?
Delivers the agility, scalable capacity, and network efficiency required to meet diverse service demands
- Supports high-capacity data rates with efficient packet aggregation
- Delivers minimum latency and maximum reach with an end-to-end transport solution
- Provides a vendor-agnostic solution that can enable fronthaul, backhaul, or midhaul to support any mobile generation (3G,4G,5G)
Provides maximum performance at minimum cost
- Maximizes fiber efficiency and reduces C-RAN transformation costs
- Optimizes performance with a fully transparent and scalable solution
- Enables traffic optimization with packet aggregation scaling to 100 Gbps
- Brings network manageability to the next level with a robust OAM toolkit
- Simplifies and speeds deployments in support of distributed, centralized, and cloud RAN rollouts
Matches every need and environment by supporting multiple mobile transport options
- Addresses a wide range of deployment requirements with a comprehensive product portfolio that provides passive, semi-passive active transparent, and active framed options
- Delivers best-in-class frequency (SyncE) and time synchronization distribution (IEEE 1588v2)
- Provides low latency with optional packet bypass and the market's leading silicon
- Supports high QoS with strict priority queuing and high resiliency mechanisms (Ethernet Ring Protection, MPLS-TP)
Further Insights on Optical Anyhaul
- Optical Anyhaul: Mobile transport for the 5G era
- Evolution to C-RAN with mobile fronthaul
- Mobile fronthaul as an enabler of C-RAN
Related blog posts
Nokia Networks is a recognized leader in optical networking. Our end-to-end solutions help service providers and enterprises support new service offerings and revenue streams. We have a global reach and scale, with a presence in more than 130 countries.